Here's what you need to know about this scholarship:
To qualify, you need to already be receiving the Federal Pell Grant or have proof that you will be receiving it the semester you plan to go abroad. No ifs, ands or buts.
These are the kinds of students the scholarship is meant to aid:
– Students with high financial need
– Students studying in non-traditional countries (i.e. not Western Europe, Australia or New Zealand)
* Of our programs, Chile, Argentina, Japan and Singapore would apply.
* Although this is suggested, it is not a requirement. Students do get scholarships even if they aren't studying somewhere remote and exotic.
– Students with diverse ethnic backgrounds
– Students with disabilities
If you're accepted you will get up to $5,000, with about $4,000 being the average. If you're on our Japan Exchange program you will be eligible for another $3,000 in the form of a Critical Need Language Supplement.
And there's just one other thing you definitely need to know and not forget. The application deadline is March 1st, which is a month before the MU Journalism Abroad application deadline.
As the semester progresses, we'll be posting information on other study abroad scholarships, reminders about deadlines and application tips.